An (almost) daily recap of dairy information: Jan. 31, 2011
California 4a/4b milk prices announced
California’s January 4b milk price is $12.49/cwt., up 27¢ from December 2010, but 23¢ less than January 2010. The 4a milk price is $16.49/cwt., up $1.82 from December 2010 and $2.74 more than a year ago. January 2011 federal order manufacturing grade milk prices will be announced Friday morning.
A study unveiled at the 2011 International Dairy Foods Association Dairy Forum paints winners and losers under the Foundation for the Future supply management program. Dairy Profit Weekly’s Dave Natzke says the narrow focus of the study creates results that are ‘suspect,’ and could lead to acrimony at a time when consensus on dairy policy is getting closer.
MARKETS: Cheese, powder and Class III higher
Closing on Monday, Jan. 31:
Cheddar barrels: up 2.0¢, to $1.7250/lb.
Cheddar blocks: up 2.0¢, tot $1.7550/lb.
Butter: unchanged, at $2.10/lb.
Extra Grade nonfat dry milk: up 5.0¢, to $1.65/lb.
Grade A nonfat dry milk: up 1.0¢, to $1.6675/lb.
Class III milk futures: +16¢ to +75¢/cwt. through December 2011.
Corn futures: +14.4¢ to +19.6¢/bushel through September 2012.
Soybean futures: +16¢ to +18¢/bushel through September 2012.
Soybean meal futures: +$3.30 to +$4.70/ton through September 2012.
Tuesday: Gould provides market overview
In Tuesday’s DairyLine broadcast, University of Wisconsin-Madison dairy economist Brian Gould discusses current – and somewhat puzzling – trends in dairy markets.
• Vermont adds ACAP agronomists to aid dairy producers
• 2011 Herd Health and Nutrition Conference set
• Dairy Alliance to host Pennsylvania calf health workshops
• New England Dairy Conferences set
• NEDPA/PRO-DAIRY manure handling webinar is Feb. 9
• Vermont Dairy Producers Conference planned
• Pike Dairy to host Agri-Palooza
• 73rd Annual Cornell Nutrition Conference planned in October
• Missouri offers dairy business planning grants
• Tri-State Dairy Nutrition Conference scheduled at Fort Wayne
• Iowa State University’s Spring Ag Career Day Set for Feb. 2
• Michigan labor seminars to turn out top-notch agricultural employers
• Iowa: Be aware of winter manure application rules
• MDA appoints new dairy princess consultant
• Minnesota nutrient management conference is Feb. 15
• MMPA offers farm business webinar
• UMDIA offers scholarships
• Minnesota Extension offers labor management programs
Check for daily DPW news updates at www.dairybusiness.com.
For a sample copy of Dairy Profit Weekly, or subscription information, visit www.dairyprofit.com or phone: 800-334-1904, ext. 244.
Dave Natzke, Editor