Nov. 30 is the deadline to submit applications for the third Jersey Youth Academy
Friday, November 30 is the deadline to submit applications for the third Jersey Youth Academy.
Youth who will be juniors or seniors in high school in the fall of 2013 and current college students who will have at least one year remaining to complete their degree are eligible to apply. A total of 36 will be selected for the program scheduled for July 21 through 26, 2013 in Columbus, Ohio.
Applications are posted on the Academy web site at http://academy.usjersey.com. Selection will be based on an evaluation of merit, motivation and preparation for the program as reflected in the written application and goal statement.
Established in 2008, Jersey Youth Academy achieves three broad objectives: first, for the participants to learn why and how the Jersey breed has grown and prospered, and what the future holds for the Jersey business; second, for them to meet leaders from the Jersey community and from across the support industry, and to gain their unique insights about the dairy business with a specific focus on the Jersey cow; and third, to learn about the range of career opportunities that involve the Jersey breed and Jersey products, and begin the journey that will take them to success working in the Jersey dairy business.
All program and transportation costs are paid by the Academy’s 501(c)(3) educational foundation. Contributors to the foundation represent a broad spectrum of Jersey breeder and dairy industry support, with the largest contribution to date coming from the all-donation National Heifer Sale in June, 2011.
An informational program on applying for Jersey Youth Academy is scheduled for Sunday, November 4 at the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville. It will begin at 10:00 a.m. EST in West Hall room W-5. The program will be recorded and posted on the Academy web site.
About the National Jersey Youth Programs
Organized in 1868, the American Jersey Cattle Association has sponsored educational programs and activities for young people interested in the Jersey breed since 1917. Junior members have the same registration privileges as Lifetime Members, and also the incentives of a comprehensive program leading to national recognition for their achievements with Jersey cattle. These programs include:
- Free membership in the association until the youth’s 21st birthday;
- the National Jersey Youth Production Contest and Pot O’Gold Sale, which create incentives for keeping production and management records;
- the National Jersey Youth Achievement Contest, the ultimate recognition for Jersey youth between the ages of 16 and 20;
- national scholarships that help pay for hands-on work experiences and college educations;
- The All American Junior Jersey Show, to be held for the sixtieth time on November 3, 2013 in Louisville, Ky., providing the thrill of competition in the largest show of Registered Jerseys™ in the world and introductions to lifelong friends from across the United States; and
- Jersey Youth Academy, an intensive educational program to be held for the third time in 2013 in Columbus, Ohio.
For more information, contact the American Jersey Cattle Association by writing 6486 E. Main Street, Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068-2362, or visit its web site at USJersey.com.