Lucas names House Ag Committee subcommittee chairsPrint
U.S. Rep. Rick Crawford (R-Ariz.) will chair the House subcommittee overseeing dairy, House Ag Committee chair Frank Lucas (R-Okla.) announced. Lucas named five members to serve as subcommittee chairmen during the 113th Congress. They include:
• Rep. Rick Crawford (R-Ariz.): Livestock, Rural Development, and Credit.
Jurisdiction: Livestock, dairy, poultry, meat, seafood and seafood products, inspection, marketing, and promotion of such commodities, aquaculture, animal welfare and grazing, rural development, farm security and family farming matters, and agricultural credit.
• Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa): Department Operations, Oversight, and Nutrition.
Jurisdiction: Agency oversight, review and analysis, special investigations, food stamps, nutrition and consumer programs.
• Rep. K. Michael Conaway (R-Texas): General Farm Commodities and Risk Management.
Jurisdiction: Program and markets related to cotton, cottonseed, wheat, feed grains, soybeans, oilseeds, rice, dry beans, peas, lentils, the Commodity Credit Corporation, risk management, including crop insurance, commodity exchanges, and specialty crops.
• Rep. Glenn “GT” Thompson (R-Pa.): Conservation, Energy, and Forestry.
Jurisdiction: Soil, water, and resource conservation, small watershed program, energy and biobased energy production, rural electrification, forestry in general and forest reserves other than
• Rep. Austin Scott (R-Ga.): Horticulture, Research, Biotechnology, and Foreign Agriculture.
Jurisdiction: Fruits and vegetables, honey and bees, marketing and promotion orders, plant pesticides, quarantine, adulteration of seeds and insect pests, and organic agriculture, research, education and extension, biotechnology and foreign agriculture assistance, and trade promotion programs, generally.
A final committee membership list will be released when available.